Monday, January 11, 2010

What is true love?

"Choosing the highest good for the other person." - Brad Henning

"...I finally understood what true love really meant... love mean[s] that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be." - John, a character from "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks

I just finished reading "Dear John" and I cried like a baby. No joke. It was a wonderful book. It was hard to read, because something like that truly has happened in the world. But it showed the true meaning of what love is to me. Love is caring more about the other person's happiness more than your own, and allowing them to be happy, whether you are or not. That includes leaving them alone, ending the relationship, and allowing them to move on.

Everyone has the right to be happy. Everyone has the right to live they life they want, to not be hurt everyday, to do what they want and not be told they can't. Everyone has the right to say NO, to stop a bad relationship in order to feel better themselves.

If unhappy with something, you aren't feeling true love. I've learned that.

One day, I will find true love. I know this to be true. Whether it happens sooner or later doesn't matter to me. I know I need to learn to love myself before allowing someone else to love me. I need to remember that I have changed, grown, and matured. I am not the same girl I was two years ago. The past is the past. I need to learn from it.

Seems like today I have had my eyes opened, and have learned a lot. Sorry this is a rambling post, I just needed to get it out.

LOVES <3

No comments: