Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's weird how interconnected life can be.

Yesterday, Dallin H. Oaks, an apostle from the LDS church, came to my school and gave a devotional talk. In his talk, he discussed how the freedom of religion is being threatened by the world, and we need to protect it. Another thing he brought up, though, was the Prop 8 problems in CA that resulted when Prop 8 was approved, and members of the community started to gang up on the LDS church, and other churches as well, for supporting it. He said, "We have endured a wave of media-reported charges that the Mormons are trying to 'deny' people or 'strip' people of their 'rights.' " The Mormons have not tried to strip anyone of their rights, we are just trying to protect our rights of religion, as well as protect the basic "core legal definition and practice of marriage in Western culture for thousands of years."

But, anyways, moving on. After this devotional, I was kind of confused, because that was not what I was expecting to hear from an apostle of the Lord. I didn't get why he talked about it, but I figured it must be important if he wanted to talk about it. Then, this morning, I looked on my Facebook, and got an invitation to join a group. I look at the group, and it is titled "Students for R-71: Support giving the rights to gays/lesbians/trans-gendered who deserve them." And it's funny to me because I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to take "rights" away from everyone, but if the nation agrees that marriage is between a man and a woman, there isn't much to be done. Also, do you get marriage-like rights if you are just living with another person? I don't find that fair, but that's just me. Anyways, I don't know what to do about this, but hopefully people will start to see that trying to change the rights of certain things infringes on the rights of others, and we need to find a middle ground. Just my opinion…

LOVES <3

No comments: