Saturday, February 5, 2011

‎"Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself."

Lately, I have been thinking about a LOT of different things.  But one of those things that has been pressing on my mind a lot more than the others has been forgiveness.  
When I think about forgiveness, it's usually me asking forgiveness for something that I have said or done that might have offended another person.  Or them asking forgiveness from me for something they have said or done that has hurt my feelings.  


When I think about it in this way, I realize that there are certain people that I have to forgive before I can truly move on.  Before I can truly be able to find someone else.  Before I can be as good as I was before.  There are two people in my life that I know I need to forgive at some point.  Right now, I don't think I can forgive them, because I am still extremely hurt by what they did.  But, I know that I will forgive them at some point in the near future.


There is one aspect of forgiveness that I tend to look over on a general basis, and that is forgiving myself.  There are many things that I have done or have been done to me that I regret or wish didn't happen.  I used to think about them daily, and I was never happy because I couldn't get over the fact that I made mistakes.  I don't think about them that often anymore, but I do have trouble forgiving myself. In order to TRULY just let go, I need to do that.  


Forgiving isn't just about other people.  There are some instances where you may need to forgive yourself.  That is what I am working on.  I hope to be able to find a way to do that soon.


Forgiveness has been on my mind for close to two weeks now.  I know I need to forgive, and I am working on it.  


"I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (D&C 64:10)


Once I reach that level of forgiveness, of myself and the others, I know that I will feel better.  I will love myself more so than I do now, and my life will be better than before.  


And I am so excited.

No comments: