Monday, October 31, 2011

“Faith in God includes faith in His timing.” Neal A. Maxwell

It is amazing to me how things are so interconnected, and so intertwined.  Over the last few days, I have been starting to see more clearly how connected everyone really is.  I have also been starting to see how the Lord wants me and others to learn about various things.  Case in point, the quote above.

For my Teachings of the Living Prophets class that I am taking this semester (for those of you who haven't taken it and still need a religious class for some semester, take it!  Seriously, one of the best religion classes I have ever taken), we are learning about Dallin H. Oaks for this week.  For every member of the Quorum of the 12 and the First Presidency, us students are asked to look up biographical information on them, and then read two talks given by them, one that the teacher assigns and one that we are able to choose.  So, we have done that now for President Monson, President Eyring, President Uchtdorf, Elder Packer, Elder Perry, Elder Nelson, and now Elder Oaks.  But, anyways, I digress.  The teacher talk that was given to us for Elder Dallin H. Oaks was a talk entitled "Timing."  This was a CES Fireside (or Church Educational System) back in January of 2002.  In the talk, he discussed the importance of allowing the Lord's will and timetable to take over in our lives, and not try to force our own will or timetable on the Lord.  Within the talk, he quoted Elder Neal A. Maxwell's quote which is the title of this blog.

"Faith in God includes faith in His timing."  Never before has this quote rang so true to me.  Growing up, I had a plan out for my life.  I would graduate high school in 2008, go to BYU, graduate by 2012, marry in 2012/2013 in the temple, begin having kids by 2014, and be happy.  Now, I am not saying that some of those things won't still happen, but they have shifted ever so slightly.

Even with all the twists and turns that have come, I can honestly say that I have never been this happy.  I have never felt the Lord's guidance in my life more than now.  And, I have an increased faith in the Lord's timing.  This is why I wrote this blog, to share with you all my testimony of that.  I went through a rough time, where I felt alone and insecure.  I seriously believed that my desires would not be met, because there wouldn't be a single person who would be able to accept my past and love me unconditionally still.  But, the things that have happened in my life were things that I was not planning on.  That proved to me that the Lord has a plan for each and every one of us, even though we may think that we will be left behind.  The Lord's plan is fulfilled on HIS timetable, not on mine.  Every joy, every happiness and strength that I have felt has come because I was ready for it.  It didn't come before, because I wasn't ready for it.  It didn't come after.  It came at the precise moment that it did because the Lord knew I was willing and ready for it.  I am so very happy to be in the place where I am now.  The Lord led to things occurring the way that He did because He had a plan for me, and wanted me to be worthy to be on the path.

Back to where this blog started.  "Faith in God includes faith in His timing."  There are many who are struggling because they don't understand why they haven't received various blessings, even when they are working so hard at it.  There are others who receive those blessings, but think that the timing is off, or don't feel necessarily that they deserve them.  I can say, without a doubt in my mind or heart, that the Lord isn't going to give you a blessing before you are ready for it.  He offers and gives them when He knows that you are worthy and willing to receive them.  Whether you are still waiting for a blessing to come, or are beginning to lose your faith, I ask you to remember that the Lord has a time and a place for everything.  He won't promise something and then take it away, especially if you are living the way that you are supposed to.  They may not come when you want them to come, or when you expect.  But the Lord knows exactly what He is doing, and we just need to place our faith and trust in Him.  As we do so, we will begin to see how the Lord has a plan, and will interconnect everything in order for you to learn what He is wanting to teach you.

I know that the Lord's timing is everything, and I just need to trust in His way.  Without this faith and knowledge, I would not be where I am today.  This has helped me and strengthened me in a way that nothing else ever could.  I am grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and am so glad that I am able to have a strong testimony of this Gospel.  Every life experience I have been able to face has led to me being where I am today, and I know that they will help me in my future life.

No comments: