Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"She is love, and she is all I need."

This last Sunday, I was asked to teach the 12 and 13 year olds in my ward. To be honest, I was very excited! I knew most of the kids, and I knew most of them were cool, so I figured it would be a piece of cake.

I walked into that room ready and excited, and walked out disappointed and confused. I learned that most of the people in that class don't even like each other, and so they use that class time to show it. Most of the class was disrespectful, rude, and didn't care who saw what they did or heard what they said, as long as the person it was directed to got hurt.

The lesson was on adversity, and how we can learn and grow from it. One section discussed how to deal with challenges that they can face at the age they are at. One person said a challenge he faced was having to deal with people he didn't like. When I asked what lessons can be learned from that kind of adversity, he stated, "You can know who to avoid. You can know who to not invite to certain activities."

This hurts. After spending a lot of time away from home, and realizing that there are things you don't know about a ton of people, I have learned that when you don't like someone, you shouldn't push them away. The people you don't like need your love and appreciation more than you know. You don't know what's going on in their life, so why make it harder by not liking them? Especially a member of your ward family.

Once he answered the question that way, I stopped dead in my tracks. I looked over the list of challenges that they face, and I just lectured them about what good can come from those adversities, especially dealing with people you don't like.

She is love, and she is all I need.

It's true. Love makes everything better. Show love to those you don't really like, they can end up becoming your best friends. Show compassion towards those who have hurt you, you never know what is going on in their lives. And even if it continues, remember that they, like you, are Sons and Daughters of Heavenly Father, so they have every right to find and receive love from someone. Why not let that love come from you?

LOVES <3

No comments: